Re: FC Upgrade 3 -> 6 : install process does not see disks

At 4:50 PM +0200 4/11/07, Jeroen Lankheet wrote:
>Michael Wiktowy wrote:
>> On 4/10/07, Guy Matz <gmatz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> i do have a SCSI installed in the machine, but that shouldn't affect
>>> anything, right?  right? :-(
>>
>> I wouldn't think so.
>>
>> Have you tried a smaller update jump? Maybe see if an update to FC4 or
>> 5 proceeds further.
>>
>> /Mike
>>
>Yes, upgrading one at a time is the way to go, unless some other
>'cowboy' knows how to do it in one big bang. I'll be very much
>interested in this how-to then.
>See http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html
>
>Make sure that you have the proper mirrors configured. They're not
>supported by Fedora anymore. See the "Newbie: Fedora Core 3" thread.

Given how much yum will download to do 3 -> 4 -> 5 -> 6 and soon -> 7, why
not get the CDs or DVD?  Anaconda, the installer, will try to DTRT where
yum is ignorant of the issues, though even anaconda may not remember all
the tricks needed for that far back.

It is possible to upgrade a runnable installation without burning any media
at all, by providing the new kernel and setting up a proper grub entry and
rebooting, but I have not actually done that (so I'm sure I left something
out).  I just burn the Rescue CD, or the whole DVD, and use that to start a
disk-based upgrade with "linux askmethod" (it's faster that way, modulo yum
dep-checking speed).  I also make a backup so I can try again; well,
actually, although I do make a backup, I upgrade by copying my current
installation to the "other" partition and upgrade the copy, so I can try
again just by recopying.  This requires two equal-size partitions, but one
can place /home elsewhere as long as there is a backup of /home!