Re: CIFS mounting

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 20:12:15 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>     Hi gang,
>
>     I need to auto-mount three CIFS and I'm not sure how to get that
> done with passwords and all.  Right now, manually I do:
>
>         mount -t cifs  //server1/OData /mnt/server1/OData \
>               -o user=username,passwd=userpasswd
>
>     How does that get done with fstab?  Or am I better off sticking it
> in local.rc?

Your /etc/fstab may contain a line like (in one line):

//server1/OData /mnt/server1/OData cifs
user,uid=xxxx,rw,noauto,suid,credentials=/some/path/credentialfile 0 0

And the credentials file contains:

username=yyy
password=zzz

Make this file unreadable by others.  You can put this info directly in
/etc/fstab, but then they become visible.

Another method is to use automount so that the share gets mounted upon
access.  In this case, you would have an entry in the /etc/auto.xxx file
instead of /etc/fstab.  The format is slightly different.

HTH,
Akemi