Re: Adding a Linux printer to Windows XP

linuxmaillists@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Monday 09 April 2007, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
OK, I'm about ready to give up on this.  For years, I've
been able to print from my wife's Windows computer to my
printer on my Linux server (currently running FC5).

I first had this working when my wife was running
Windows-95, then Windows-98 (when I was probably running
Red Hat Linux, perhaps as early as 3.0.3).  But, its
become *much* harder to get working from Windows XP.

I started by sharing the printer under SAMBA, and I've
had it working whether I had an HP-550c or Epson Stylus
Color 440.  Since I last had it working, my wife upgraded
her hardware from Windows-98 to Windows XP.

Well, I recently replaced the Epson with a Samsung
CLP-510 color laser. What a dream!  It installed on Linux
very easily using the LPRng package that came with the
printer and CUPs sees it and uses it just fine.  About
1/2 of my applications print directly to the printer, the
other 1/2 require double selections as an LPRng print box
comes up after the applications box.  I've learned to
live with that.

I was able to add it to my new laptop (running FC6)
without any issues.

My problem is getting my wife's Windows XP machine to
print to it.  I've tried 2 different methods:

1) Under SAMBA, I give windows the \\linuxserv\lp share
name for the printer, and installed the Windows drivers
for the CLP-510.  No go.

2) I tried having windows print directly to the CUPS IPP
   http://linuxserv:634/printers/lp
                       ^^^
sorry, this should be  631

I have even configured my Linux userid/password but the
error message I get back from Windows is permission
denied.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Problem #3:  I have a Windows XP Pro running in a VMWare
session on my new laptop.  Since the VMWare network
(between VMWare and the laptop) is on a different subnet
from my main home network (bridged by VMWare), how can I
print to this printer from the VMWare session?  I assume
that in addition to the same solution listed above, I'll
need to add sufficient network routing so that my
linuxserv machine can see the Windows XP Pro system and
have the right routing in order to get there.  Even if my
laptop is on ethernet or wireless.....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx

Try this http://<domain>or<IP>:631/printers/printername on the WinXP box

Yeup, that's what I'm using (sorry, fat fingers).