Re: IPW3945 Booting Problem

Thom Paine wrote:
> I checked my gdm and it matches, yet I still get prompted to iunput my
> password.
>
> I disabled wpa_supplicant when I boot up, and that cleared up another
> boot error.
>
> I tried removing and reinstalling pam_keyring, but I still need to put
> in my password.
>
> Any more ideas?

I don't think its possible to *not* have to input your passcode (unless
is null).  Its not your login password, its your encryption passcode.
Just because they're the same value doesn't mean that one will suffice
for the other.  Mine are different.  I have to type them in each and
every time I need to use them.  Its a PITA.  Everything I have read says
that you shouldn't use a null passcode, then your passwords can be
compromised by just breaking your login password, but I'm beginning to
wonder if the convenience isn't worth the risk, especially if you have a
sufficiently strong password to begin with.

Under my setup (done by my laptop provider), NetworkManager applet runs
when I login, and if my ethernet is *not* connected, it tries to bring
up the wireless, prompting me for my KeyRing Manager passcode.  My
problem is with NM not always connecting to my wireless network.  Its
hit or miss (mostly miss) while sometimes ending after 1 attempt, other
times prompting me for my wireless key.  I am guess that my success rate
is well less than 3%.  And it doesn't matter how my wireless AP is
configured (which protocol, or none at all).  My daughter's Windows
wireless has no problems with my wireless AP (or at least the converse
failure rate that I do B^)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx