Re: NVIDIA Sata - Slow Disk (Second Try)

Thanks for the response. I got the parameter in question from one of the
mailing lists where it is claimed to increase the performance. In my
case however, it did not make much of a difference. I am pasting the
output from "hdparm -i" as well as "hdparm -I" which gives us the
information about the disk.

Srikanth

# hdparm -i /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

# hdparm -I /dev/sda

/dev/sda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       SAMSUNG HM100JI
        Serial Number:      S0EFJ10L500218
        Firmware Revision:  YH100-13
Standards:
        Used: ATA/ATAPI-7 T13 1532D revision 0
        Supported: 7 6 5 4
Configuration:
        Logical         max     current
        cylinders       16383   16383
        heads           16      16
        sectors/track   63      63
        --
        CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
        LBA    user addressable sectors:  195371568
        LBA48  user addressable sectors:  195371568
        device size with M = 1024*1024:       95396 MBytes
        device size with M = 1000*1000:      100030 MBytes (100 GB)
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        Queue depth: 32
        Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific minimum
        R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
        Advanced power management level: unknown setting (0x0080)
        Recommended acoustic management value: 254, current value: 0
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5
*udma6 udma7
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
        Enabled Supported:
           *    SMART feature set
                Security Mode feature set
           *    Power Management feature set
           *    Write cache
           *    Look-ahead
           *    Host Protected Area feature set
           *    WRITE_BUFFER command
           *    READ_BUFFER command
                NOP cmd
           *    DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
                Advanced Power Management feature set
                SET_MAX security extension
                Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
           *    48-bit Address feature set
           *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
           *    Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
           *    FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
           *    SMART error logging
           *    SMART self-test
                General Purpose Logging feature set
           *    IDLE_IMMEDIATE with UNLOAD
           *    SATA-I signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
           *    Native Command Queueing (NCQ)
           *    Host-initiated interface power management
           *    Phy event counters
                DMA Setup Auto-Activate optimization
                Device-initiated interface power management
           *    Software settings preservation
Security:
        Master password revision code = 65534
                supported
        not     enabled
        not     locked
                frozen
        not     expired: security count
                supported: enhanced erase
        88min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 88min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE
UNIT.
Checksum: correct