Re: webcams and gspca

On Monday 09 April 2007 12:11, Mark Fraser wrote:
> In article <1174847841.15310.246.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>
>    Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 16:59 +0000, Mark Fraser wrote:
> > > I have managed to get my webcam - a Logitech model - working using the
> > > gspca drivers from http://mxhaard.free.fr/ . However, everytime there
> > > is a new kernel available I have to recompile it. Is it available on a
> > > repo like Livna have done with the nVidia drivers and kmod-nvidia.
> >
> > I like leaving it as it is, so I can recompile (which takes less than a
> > minute) to have it immediately available.
>
> That's probably what I'll do then. It's not as if it takes ages to compile.
>
> > > Secondly, even though I can view the output of the webcam in the
> > > configuration window in Kopete, I can't get anyone else to see it and I
> > > can't view anyone else's that are online.
> >
> > I finally beat that problem some time ago, but for the life of me, I
> > cannot remember exactly what I did. Have you tried ekiga yet?
>
> I haven't tried ekiga yet, but as an update I have managed to send and view
> a webcam in Kopete over yahoo. Still can't get anything on msn though.

I have had my Lifetec LT9388 webcam (ov511 driver) working on aMSN.
http://www.amsn-project.net/

I built it from a source tarball on FC5, and just looked at the livna repo,
but it doesn't appear to be available there for FC5, or FC6.

May be worth a look on the aMSN site.

I don't think I tried the webcam on Kopete. Oh yes I did, and have just looked
on Debian that has Kopete 0.12.3 (Using KDE 3.5.5), and all I get is a
strange green background with an odd black sort of logo on it, when looking
in config>devices with the webcam selected as default.

If you've got yahoo working with the webcam on Kopete, you've obviously got
further than me, but it does work on aMSN.

Nigel.