Re: Fedora Rant #7 - who told KDE Sound to stop me listening?

On Monday 09 April 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm running KDE-3.5.6 under Fedora-6 with kernel 2.6.20-1.2933.fc6,
> on a ThinkPad T43 with Intel AC'97 Audio Controller (ICH6 Family),
> and I can hear nothing - sound is turned off.
>
> However, if I go to Control Centre=>Sound & Multimedia=>Sound System
> and click on Test Sound I hear the sound perfectly -
> but that is the only place I can hear anything.

Because system sounds and other sounds don't use the same output channels.
There have been lots of messages on this list about a recent update
re-setting the channels, lowering them or muting them.  Run alsamixer from a
terminal and check all the outputs.

> If I go to F (K Menu)=>Administration=>Soundcard Detection
> I hear nothing when I press the "Test sound" button,
> although the correct Model and Module are chosen.
>
> The log file says
> "aplay: main:545: audio open error: Device or resource busy".

If anything is hogging it, it's likely to be aRts.  In kcontrol > Sound &
Multimedia > Sound System make sure that 'Auto-suspend if idle after:' is set
to 1 second.

> I am baffled by this; I could understand if sound never worked,
> but why does it only work when tested in the Control Centre?
>

> I see that I am told in the Control Centre sound module,
> "The KDE sound system takes exclusive control
> over your audio hardware,
> blocking programs that may wish to use it directly."

See above.

> Is this the cause of my problem?
> If so, who asked KDE sound to take exclusive control?
> Can I tell it, "Thank you but no thanks"?

That should do it.

Anne