Re: Bad ext3 journal

On 4/8/07, Michael Weiner <hunter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was trying to push some pictures up to a gallery application i run under
apache, and the process began to give me deny messages. Upon looking at the
server I noticed that I had recieved this error in dmesg and i am unsure how
to correct it. Unfortunately this is on the main (slash) partition of one of
my servers.

journal_bmap: journal block not found at offset 5132 on sda2
Aborting journal on device sda2.
ext3_abort called.
EXT3-fs error (device sda2): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal
Remounting filesystem read-only
EXT3-fs error (device sda2) in ext3_reserve_inode_write: Journal has aborted
EXT3-fs error (device sda2) in ext3_dirty_inode: Journal has aborted
EXT3-fs error (device sda2) in ext3_reserve_inode_write: Journal has aborted
EXT3-fs error (device sda2) in ext3_dirty_inode: Journal has aborted

Is there a way to recreate or fix the journal to keep the fs alive? I have
been googling, but been unable to come up with a clear fix for this
situation (thought something in tune2fs might do the trick but...)

Managed to answer my own question by:

booting to rescue cd
unmounting sda2
running fsck
tune2fs -O ^has_journal
tune2fs -j
re-reran fsck

and after a reboot...knock on wood, things seemed to have calmed down.

Thanks and sorry for the posting
Michael