Re: Nameserver Problem Revisited -

Tim wrote:
On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 15:44 -0400, Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:

Apr  7 15:22:39 box6 named[5097]: /etc/blocking.conf:29: zone
'ad.doubleclick.net' already exists

For what it's worth, don't do that.

Block the top-level of doubleclick.net, and don't add extra doubleclick
sub-domains.  Blocking doubleclick.net also takes care of
ad.doubleclick.net, at the same time, as well as any other sub-domain of
doubleclick.net.

Ok, I wasn't certain how much I could shorten the names.

I have the Firefox Adblock extension which produced a large list of offending URL's and shows the hit frequency. [Most of those names listed I have already edited to make them catch a wider range of ad's.] I picked a number of them that indicated up to 7000 hits and added them to my blocking.conf file.

Anyway, now that the dual entry is corrected it really works very well, items that would take more than a minute at times now pop up in from three to seven seconds.  That may not sound good to you but bear in mind that I have the ~500 ms delay in the satellite system that can really add up over a string of ad's when some slow servers are encountered!  Firefox tells you what it's doing at the bottom of the screen.

Bob Goodwin