Re: system-config-network as non-root

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 22:11 +0200, François Patte wrote:

> Bonsoir,
>
> I'd like to know if there is a way to allow non root user to use
> "system-config-network". On a laptop it is quite boring to always
> become
> root if you want to use lan interface, wifi interface or ppp
> interface....
>
> Is there a magic way to allow people to bring up an interface
> according
> to their needs?
>
> Putting USERCTL=yes does not allow you to use system-config-network to
> activate the interface.
>
> Thanks.
> - --
If instead of the init.d script for network you use NetworkManager and
NetworkManagerDispatcher, then  you can configure the wired connection
once. Then any user can attach to any wired or wireless connection using
nm-applet which in appears on login in the left corner of the upper
panel. To be truthful I am not sure previous configuration of the wired
connection needs to be done since one of the nm-applet options is to
connect to a different connection. One might be able to configure the
wired connection that way.
In any case the connections should to be configured not to happen at
boot.
--
Aaron Konstam tel: (210) 656-0355 akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx