Re: Linux for old laptop?

I've installed DreamLinux. For some reason it drops me off at an
unconfigured GRUB prompt and I can't boot it up.

Later on installed Xubuntu over it, and it works great so far. In the
beginning it booted up with only 640x480. It turned out that Ubuntu's
default refresh rate is not compatible with the LCD screen. A
non-linux person would have been stumped here for quite a while. I
think Redhat has gui tools for setting up the monitor type properly.

On 3/28/07, Claude Jones <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed March 28 2007 11:31:47 am Chu Jeang Tan wrote:
> My friend has the following laptop:
> CPU: Pentium 2 266MHz
> Memory: 256MB
> Hard drive: 4gb
>
> How would you setup a usable Linux system on this? It should
> be able to run web browser, open office suite, IM, play MP3,
> various video formats.
>
> Is Fedora a good choice for low powered system?
>
> I'd think gnome may be too heavyweight WM and KDE might be a
> better option.
>
> Note that this is for a novice and probably would prefer to
> configure stuffs through UI rather than text editors.
>
> --
> Chu Jeang Tan
> chujtan@xxxxxxxxx

Have done this quite a bit - my choices would be MepisLite,
DreamLinux, or dynebolic; I've got MepisLite running on a
similar machine right now, Micron P2 266/256MB ram, and it runs
just fine, though I don't suggest using OpenOffice. DreamLinux
is supposed to run well on older machines, and I've used it on a
P3 450MHz w/ 384 MB ram,  which ran quite well; dynebolic is
supposed to do well on older machines, but I've only run it on
more modern platforms - it's a bit more work to get it installed
to the hard drive and booting, but, it's a neat distro for
media-content creatives...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, Md, USA