Re: Fedora 5 or Fedora 6

Frank,
Sorry about that.

Xorg is the application that displays graphics to the screen (allowing for GUI's and desktops) and compiz/beryl are similarly applications that run on top of that to add 3D effects, transparencies and other "eye candy" to windows and the desktop. This is not always desired but some people really like it. Basically the effects on Vista are based on these and a couple Mac effects. Just make it look pretty. They're not really "buzz words" in the way that "web 2.0" is a buzz word since the X windows system has been around for a very long time (don't know my history but 15 years sounds about right). As you learn more about Linux you will discover much of this. The X windows system and it's configuration becomes very useful to know but as a beginner it should all be auto configured by the Fedora installer.

As for FC5, support is still available (bug fixes, minor updates) but the major development work is done in the FC6 tree and the upcoming Fedora7 and so new and cutting edge features and applications will only be available (through fedora) for these versions. This aggresive development cycle is the reason I like fedora over some of the other distributions because it allows me to have the most up to date software without me having to compile it myself. As a new Linux user interesting in the cutting edge of software, a current Fedora is the distribution for you. If you are less concerned about this then an older Fedora or even Current version of other ditros may be preferable. I would certainly do some reading on different versions of Fedora and even different distros as they compare to fedora.

www.distrowatch.com is a good (although maybe not the best) web site to view reviews and comparisons of a lot of the ditros.

Hope that helped a bit
Liz

frank wang wrote:
I am new user and I really do not know the buzz word such as xord 7.1
(and therefor compiz/aiglx). I need to more study to know what are
these software do.

For my network problem with fedora 6, I have to state that I am runing
both fedora 5 and fedora 6 on the same machine using vmware. Both
fedora 5 and 6 can get online and browse the internet. However, fedora
5 I can yum to update software. Fedora 6 I can not yum. I can get to
gmail on fedora 5 but not on fedora 6.

It is very strange for me. Anyone knows why?

thanks

Frank