Re: Weird reboots (ntpd related?)

Hi Gene,

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 23:01:02 -0400
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday 02 April 2007, Andre Costa wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've been experiencing weird reboots leately -- not the "bad-RAM"
> >kinda reboots, they seem to be software-related, because they seem
> >to happen always at the same time.
> >
> >It usually happens right after boot, when ntpd is synchronizing. This
> >is what appears on /var/log/messages:
> >
> >Apr  2 22:21:43 localhost ntpd[2300]: synchronized to LOCAL(0),
> >stratum
> > 10 Apr  2 22:21:43 localhost ntpd[2300]: kernel time sync enabled
> > 0001 Apr  2 22:22:49 localhost ntpd[2300]: synchronized to
> > 200.218.160.160, stratum 2

> >Apr  2 22:23:45 localhost syslogd 1.4.1: restart.
> >Apr  2 22:23:45 localhost kernel: klogd 1.4.1, log source
> >= /proc/kmsg
> > started.
> >
> >After it reboots, it "survives" -- and even synchronizes again:
> >
> >Apr  2 22:27:09 localhost ntpd[2319]: synchronized to LOCAL(0),
> >stratum
> > 10 Apr  2 22:27:09 localhost ntpd[2319]: kernel time sync enabled
> > 0001 Apr  2 22:29:16 localhost ntpd[2319]: synchronized to
> > 193.6.222.47, stratum 2 Apr  2 22:43:16 localhost ntpd[2319]: time
> > reset -2.639872 s
> >Apr  2 22:47:17 localhost ntpd[2319]: synchronized to LOCAL(0),
> >stratum
> > 10 Apr  2 22:48:22 localhost ntpd[2319]: synchronized to
> > 193.6.222.47, stratum 2
> >
> >Anyone ever seen something similar? Is it really possible that time
> >syncs could cause reboots? Any other log file I could check for
> >additional clues?
>
> I believe that big crash corrections backwards can cause this.  And I
> know that the fedora's all save the time in the mobo's hardware clock
> at shutdown time, so the clock should be reasonably close when its
> used to set the system time at the next boot.  However, if the cmos
> battery is getting on in years and laying down on the job of keeping
> the hardware clock somewhere near coherent while powered off, the
> wrong time might be recovered at bootup, and not corrected until the
> startup of ntpd, which actually does a crash correction using ntpdate
> before handing the keep it correct chores off to the ntpd, which in
> turn fine tunes the second to maintain the system clock within a few
> milliseconds of the network time servers.

Mmmh... the weary CMOS battery theory indeed makes sense, it's about
time I replace that. But, what's new to me is that nptdate needs to
reboot the machine in order to correct large time-drifts.

> The location of the reboot in your logs would be the #1 clue as to
> thise theory to me.  The fact that it usually keeps running after one
> reboot because the hardware clock hasn't had time to go doofy because
> its now running on electric power is another clue.

Right, so far I agree it makes perfect sense. Also, IIRC it tends to
happen more frequently after I spend a couple of days away from the
computer (I guess the clock drifts more and more the longer it is
counting solely on CMOS battery). Eg. today the "auto-reboot" did not
take place (I used the computer yesterday).

> So I'd check the cmos battery on the motherboard with a digital meter
> as step one, after its been off overnight.  Over 3 volts would be
> considered decent for a wee bit yet, below 2.7 or so would be grounds
> to replace it soonest.  ISTR most of them are around 3.3 to 3.6 volts
> new, but read the voltage stamped on the cell to be sure.  Less than
> say 85% of that rated voltage would be grounds to write the cell's
> type number down and get one the next time you are in town.

Nah, I will replace it right away, it is about time =)

Thks a lot for sharing your thoughts, even though it is still
unconfirmed, your theory makes perfect sense so far (I would never
think of that =)). And, if it proves to be right, it was a hardware
problem after all ;-)

Regards,

Andre

--