Re: missing xorgcfg

Frode Petersen:
>>> Btw, have anyone else got a xorg.conf with no entries in sections
>>> 'files' and 'modules'?

Tim:
>> I don't even have those sections.  Defaults are presumed without them.

Frode Petersen:
> This makes me a bit confused. Are all the entries that used to go here
> assumed to be default settings, or are they dropped for different
> technologies?

It seems that more defaults are presumed, and a fair bit of
auto-configuring each boot.  That latter's caused me problems, when I've
turned on a system with the monitor un-powered.  When turned on, I had a
generic 800x600 display, instead of the prior 1280x1084.  And I kept on
getting the same issue with a monitor that it didn't have in its
database, until I preset it with more details.

After playing around over the last few days, this appears to be a
minimal configuration set up by Fedora:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

About the only specific thing in it was the "nv" driver.  It beats me
why a keyboard ought to be part of the X configuration, though I do see
reason behind configuring a mouse in there.  It's struck me for quite
some time that the mouse port ought to be part of the graphic card, more
than anything else.  Let *it* work out where the pointer is, in
hardware.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.