Re: Beryl

Gene Lapointe writes:

	I'm trying to run beryl on my fc6 install.  Most of the functionality
doesn't appear to work and I get this message.

Xlib:  extension "SHAPE" missing on display ":0.0"

Any Ideas.
Sorry, I'm a noob.

Your video card probably does not support accelerated OpenGL, or your X.org is using a wrong driver. Post the name of your video card, and the juicy bits from /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If you are using any video card based on the Nvidia chipset, it will not work, unless you manually compile and install Nvidia's proprietary non-free binary blob drivers. If you're a noob, don't do that (unless you like to experiment, which is fine, as long as you fully understand this). One wrong step, and your Linux system becomes unbootable. Either reinstall a different Linux distribution that embraces and includes Nvidia's non-free binary drivers, or replace your video card to one based on an Intel graphics chipset (or some ATI chipsets) that's supported by Mesa. See http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Status for a list of video chipsets supported by Mesa accelerated OpenGL drivers.