Re: VNC Problem

"Gene Lapointe" <gene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm trying to get vnc-server working, but can't seem to get there. Whenever i try to connect from a remote windows machine, i get failed to connect to server. If needed, I can post any config files needed. I've searched everywhere and haven't found a thing. Thanks in advance.
-- Gene Lapointe
Make sure your firewall rules allow a connection from port 590x (x = the VNC server running so 5901 for the first one).

If you want the remote desktop to look like a console login, you'll need something like the following:

[dave@fraud ~]# cat .vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
# xsetroot -solid grey
# vncconfig -iconic &
# xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
gnome-session

The default is very simple and ugly (the comment lines above are the default).

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce