[SOLVED] Re: OT: corrupted FATs on an external drive

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
peter kostov wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
peter kostov wrote:
Hi,

I have a Samsung mp3 player that doesn't want to format his drive.
When I run fsck on it I get:

# fsck.vfat -rtlV -v /dev/sdb1
dosfsck 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
Boot sector contents:
System ID "MSDOS5.0"
<-----------------[ snip ]----------------->
I have tried mkdosfs with no luck.
I will appreciate very much if anyone can tell mi what to do to get it
back to work.

Peter

What kind of error did you get with mkdosfs? Did you remember to
specify that you wanted a FAT32 file system? (-F 32).

Mikkel
Thanks Mikkel, but there wasn't an error. There wasn't any effect also.
I have tried several times with -F 16, because fsck reported:
First FAT starts at byte 512 (sector 1)
       2 FATs, 16 bit entries
Then I have tried with -F 32, again with no success. As I sad mkdosfs
didn't report any error, however in dmesg I saw several resets of the
device during the mkdosfs process. After that when I remount the player
all the files are still there, and the player itself again doesn't see
them.
Peter

It almost looks like the device is write-protecting its file system.
But it could be from other causes. A couple of things to keep in
mind. You should not run mkdosfs with the drive mounted. From the
dosfsck output, the system thinks it is a FAT32 file system. You may
want to run "fdisk -l /dev/sdb" to double check the partition type.

Dumb question - are you running mkdosfs on /dev/sdb1, and not
/dev/sdb? Running it on /dev/sdb will produce strange results,
including possible corruption of files on the device, possibly
without messing up the directories...

Mikkel
I think the cause was the corrupted partition table ( from the mkdosfs output: 'Both FATs appear to be corrupt. Giving up.' ) I found a program called "YP-ST5 Updater" (windows executable from Samsung) that has overwritten the whole operating system of the player and the bootloader, firmware, etc. It has re-formated the filesystem, restored the FATs and now the player works fine.

P.S. the filesystem was not mounted and I have used mkdosfs on /dev/sdb1.

Thanks for helping anyway!

Best  regards,
Peter