Re: Loading PCMCIA modules

Al Graziano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to change the driver binding to my PCMCIA wireless card,
> from orinoco to hostap, as I need to put the card in master mode and the
> orinoco driver doesn't support it. This is what I get from pccardctl
>
> # pccardctl info
> PRODID_1="INTERSIL"
> PRODID_2="HFA384x/IEEE"
> PRODID_3="Version 01.02"
> PRODID_4=""
> MANFID=0156,0002
> FUNCID=6
>
> # pccardctl status
> Socket 0:
> 3.3V 16-bit PC Card
> Subdevice 0 (function 0) bound to driver "orinoco_cs"
>

> I run Fedora 6 and after a lot of reading and googling I realize that
> much of the PCMCIA stuff has changed alot with the new 2.6 kernel. I was
> thinking of using the /etc/pcmcia/conf file and put the mapping for the
> new binding there, and then restart the PCMCIA service. However, all is
> changed and I am struggling to understand how I can change mapping
> between the card and drivers. It appears as though the
> /etc/pcmcia/conf.opts is still used
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, please :-)
>
> Ciao
> Al

You may want to take a look at /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. I have not
tried it, but I suspect that you can ether create a file in
/etc/modprobe.d or an entry in /etc/modprobe.conf with something like:

blacklist orinoco_cs

to stop it from being loaded automatically. You will have to run
depmod after making the change in order for it to take affect. (This
is also done when you reboot...)

Mikkel