Re: loading modules in Fedora 6

Al Graziano wrote:
> Thank you. I was already doing that but my problem at the moment is that
> I have a driver for my wireless card, ipw3945 and that gets loaded even
> if I don't specify it in the modprobe.conf
>
> I installed the driver through rpm so it must have have copied itself to
> a directory where modules are read at boot time. As far as I know
> modules to be loaded are contained in /lib/modules/'uname -r'/... or
> /etc/rc.modules

The /lib/modules/'uname -r' directory tree contains the actual
modules that get loaded. /etc/modprobe.conf and the /etc/modprobe.d
directory contain information that helps deside what module gets
loaded. The blacklist files are used to prevent modules from being
loaded. From /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:

# Listing a module here prevents the hotplug scripts from loading it.
# Usually that'd be so that some other driver will bind it instead,
# no matter which driver happens to get probed first.  Sometimes user
# mode tools can also control driver binding.
#
#

> but when I searched for the ipw3945 driver it, I found it in the
> following directory
>
> /proc/irq/17/ipw3945
> /sys/module/ipw3945
> /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ipw3945
>
> I cannot find any of the above directories in the init boot scripts ( I
> may not have looked good enough) and that's why I was trying to
> understand how Fedora 6 loads modules at boot time

These directories are system directories - the /proc directory
reflects the state of the running system. The sys directory entries
are created when you

With the ipw3945 driver, you have more then just the kernel module
getting loaded. There is also a firmware file, and a daemon that
gets run. You probably have a script in /etc/rc.d/init.d that takes
care of that. (I have it on my laptop, but I don't remember the name
right now.)

Mikkel