Re: Grub failures

On 3/30/07, Jeff Mutonho <ejbengine@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Grub is failing with the error message :

Grub loading stage 1.5.
..
Error 5

I checked what error 5 means and the docs say :

5 : "Disk geometry error"

 This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block
address beyond the end of the BIOS translated area.  This generally
happens if your disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for
(E)IDE disks on older machines or larger than 8GB in general).

Why is this happening all of sudden when everything was working ?The
machine is a dual boot with XP on the other partition.
Last week I had another Grub failure at stage 2 , and fixed it by
booting into recovery mode and doing :

grub
grub>root (hd1,0)
grub>setup (hd0)
grub>quit

then rebooted.What could be causing Grub to have these intermittent
failures?I haven't touched the BIOS.

A quick guess would be that your XP installation is mucking with the
MBR and trying to "repair" it. Check the list or search the web for
how to dual boot from Windows.

"Don't take the name of root in vain."

Jeff  Mutonho
Cape Town