Re: Is there an application that...

"Chris Mohler" <cr33dog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 3/30/07, David G. Miller <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there an application or method (e.g., command the drive to "play
> audio") that lets me spin an audio CD in my CDROM drive and listen via
> headphones plugged into the drive's audio jack?
>
> The speaker setup I have plugged into my primary desktop does not
> provide a bypass audio jack.  Unfortunately, this means I need to become
> a hermit and close up my office if I want to listen to tunes while my
> wife watches the tube.  I find the sound quality acceptable using the
> audio jack on the CDROM but I need a way to spin the disk and NOT have
> the sound come out the sound card.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Possibly a dumb question, but does the CD-ROM have a "play button" on
the device?  IIRC, the ones with headphone jacks usually do.  Also,
check alsamixer for any muted channels (and maybe mute the channels
for the sound card?).

Just a guess,
Chris
In a word, "no." I seem to remember older drives having such a button but this one only has an eject button and a volume control. Apparently the drive needs some kind of command to just play an audio CD. I've spun the drive with several applications with headphones plugged into the audio jack only to get no sound out of the headphones and sound out my speaker system. I'd think that since the drive has a volume control for the audio jack that it's capable of doing a simple play but the question is how. I'm wondering if there is something like hdparm or scsitape to send commands to an IDE cdrom.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce