Re: Managing print queues

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 09:14 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 09:23 +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 07:43 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> > > For example, suppose you've sent something to print, realise the
> > > printer's out of paper, and decide you'll do without the print -- how do
> > > you cancel the job?
> > >
> > > In a terminal, it's easy -- lpq shows you the outstanding jobs, and lprm
> > > deletes them. Assuming it's *your* job, you don't even need to be root.
> > >
> > > But there doesn't seem to be an obvious GUI to handle that, apart from
> > > http://localhost:631 (the CUPS web interface).
> >
> > You should see a little printer icon in your systray, and clicking on
> > that will give you a print queue manager.
> >
> > Tim.
> > */
> I don't know where my systray is and I have never seen a printer icon
> anywhere on my screen. Where is this?
> --
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Specifically, the systray referred to here is the "notification area"
panel applet, which is present by default on fedora's gnome desktop's
top panel. If the notification area isn't on your panel, it can be added
by right-clicking on the panel, select "Add to panel..." and then select
it from the list. I'm not sure offhand which program is actually
responsible for putting this icon in the notification area, but it is
enabled by default.

The little printer icon shows up for me when i print from my fedora 6
desktop. On my fedora 5 desktop, there may be a bug, since the little
printer icon doesn't always show up. But i'm not going to sweat it,
since i've basically completed my transition to fedora 6, and version 7
is going to be released soon anyway.

- gabriel