Re: Nameserver Problem

Mike Dwiggins wrote:

Read that. Now for a newbie how do I go from a caching-nameserver to regular bind.

The only way I could get yum to install bind was to call for the caching-nameserver.

If you were to look closely you'd find out that the caching-nameserver contains only the following:

/etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf
/etc/named.rfc1912.zones
/usr/share/doc/caching-nameserver-9.3.2
/usr/share/doc/caching-nameserver-9.3.2/Copyright
/usr/share/doc/caching-nameserver-9.3.2/rfc1912.txt
/var/named/localdomain.zone
/var/named/localhost.zone
/var/named/named.broadcast
/var/named/named.ca
/var/named/named.ip6.local
/var/named/named.local
/var/named/named.zero

In other words, the caching-nameserver package contains *only* the configuration files used to make bind a "caching nameserver". In still other words, the only difference between a "caching nameserver" and an "authoritative nameserver" is the configuration file.

I suspect bind is really installed.

So, go back to the documentation and read the part about setting up the configuration file. I believe there is already an example in the doc that has a sample of a server acting as a "slave" server.

Ed