Re: help me with my font fu please ... [mostly solved]

On 28Mar2007 02:14, Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > [I] routinely worked in a teensie tiny font which got
| > plenty of code on the screen and was still perfectly legible.
| >
| > I obtained this font by choosing "Monospace" and "10" in the "Font"
| > setting on the Edit->Current_Profile->General tab, the typing
| > Ctrl-minus twice to get down to something I liked.
| >
| > I have failed utterly to identify that font so that I can ask
| > another terminal to use it:-( [...]
|
| I believe you can see what font would be used via the fc-match
| command.  On my FC6 box, here's what I get when asking about
| Monospace:
|
| $ fc-match "Monospace"
| DejaVuLGCSansMono.ttf: "DejaVu LGC Sans Mono" "Book"
|
| Does rxvt use fontconfig?  If so, I'd have thought that specifying
| Monospace 10 would get you what you want.  But I'm sure you likely
| figured that too and found out through experimentation that it
| doesn't. :)

Ah, but I don't want Monospace 10, I seem to want Monospace 6.

Here's the gnome-terminal:
  http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/test/gt1.png
The bold's a bit garish, but the normal font is good; that's after the
ctrl-minus.

Now, to preface the following with why I didn't just use Monospace-6,
saying "urxvt -fn xft:Monospace-6" got me this:

  http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/test/urxvt0.png

And so I took the low road.

Anyway, you have helped. I spent a hour last night using fc-list and
fc-match and playing with fonts; I'd bring up gnome-terminal and its font
chooser, which has a handy preview (but limited size choices and nothing
for the other weird attributes) to check out the font face appearance. And
then I'd check what fc-match and fc-list said for various things like
"Console-8:spacing-charcell:antialias=false" and so forth. And try:

  urxvt -fn xft:Console-8:spacing-charcell:antialias=false

Clearly I was tired and my blood sugar low, but your email had just
arrived so I thought I'd have at it. And it was opportune.

This doco was also (slightly) useful:
  http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html

I evenually ended up with "xft:DejaVuLGCSansMono-6". It looked like
this:
  http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/test/urxvt1.png

It's readable, but simply not as good as the gnome-terminal.  Anyway, I ran
with that and recongiured my FVWM setup and terminal defaults and am today
working with 4 80-column terminals side by side on my main 1600x1200
monitor.

This morning, with coffee and a choc wheaton biscuit in my system, I
realised that I had ignored urxvt (and rxvt and xterm)'s "bold font"
setting. Saying:

  urxvt -fn xft:Monospace-6 -fb xft:Monospace-6

gets me this:

  http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/test/urxvt2.png

I think it's better, though on close inspection I'm less sure. it may be
identical to the gnome-terminal, and what I ended with last night.

I still reckon this is a great step forward from the 6x10 fixed font I've
been using. We'll see.

Thanks. Hope y'all like the sig quote:-)

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743

in rec.moto, jsh wrote:
> Dan Nitschke wrote:
> > Ged Martin wrote:
> > > On Sat, 17 May 1997 16:53:33 +0000, Dan Nitschke scribbled:
> > > Yeah, yeah, that's what you're saying in _public_....
> > Feh. You know nothing of my dreams. I dream entirely in text (New Century
> > Schoolbook bold oblique 14 point), and never in color. I once dreamed I
> > was walking down a flowchart of my own code, and a waterfall of semicolons
> > was chasing me. (I hid behind a global variable until they went by.)
> You write code in a proportional serif? No wonder you got extra
> semicolons falling all over the place.
No, I *dream* about writing code in a proportional serif font.
It's much more exciting than my real life.
/* dan: THE Anti-Ged -- Ignorant Yank (tm) #1, none-%er #7 */
Dan Nitschke  peDANtic@xxxxxxxx  nitschke@xxxxxxxxxxxx