Re: why my FC6 start so slowly?

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
John wrote:
 You know, I did notice something weird- now that you mention the cable.
The first time I booted up, the cable was connected and the start up
seemed to spend more time on sendmail (then I thought it should be). The
2nd boot up (hrs later) was w/o the cable connected; it booted up fairly
quickly. The 3rd boot had the cable connected and the start up dragged
on again.

That sounds like the system is trying to do a DNS lookup, and/or
taking a while to do the DHCP handshake/settings. With the cable
unplugged, it does not try to access the network. (As long as your
NIC and driver supports link detection - most do.)

Are you connected to a router? Is the interface set for dynamic or
static IP? Did you set a hostname?

Mikkel
Turning off the services sounds fine; I'm tucked behind a  router.

           John