Re: why my FC6 start so slowly?

On 3/28/07, John <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
David Timms wrote:
> John wrote:
>> redtroy zhang wrote:
>>> I installed FC6 on my IBM R51E laptop.
>>> It worked well before,
>>> but after i update my system with "yum", the kernel changed from
>>> 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 to 2.6.20-1.2933.fc6.
>>> the new kernel starts quite slowly, when setting host name and
>>> starting HAL, but the old one goes fast.
>>> what's the problem ? How to fix that problem?
> ..
>>  I have the same thing going on with my Compaq- can't remember (off
>> hand) which kernel is running.
> Could you see if having your network cable unplugged as you boot up
> speeds things up ?
> You could also try temporarily removing quiet from the grub kernel
> line {/boot/grub/grub.conf}
>
> Post back your results.
>
> DavidT.

 You know, I did notice something weird- now that you mention the
cable. The first time I booted up, the cable was connected and the start
up seemed to spend more time on sendmail (then I thought it should be).
The 2nd boot up (hrs later) was w/o the cable connected; it booted up
fairly quickly. The 3rd boot had the cable connected and the start up
dragged on again.

Do you need avahi?  If not turn off that service on all runlevels and
any other that you do not need or use.

               John