Re: Linux for old laptop?

On Wed March 28 2007 11:31:47 am Chu Jeang Tan wrote:
> My friend has the following laptop:
> CPU: Pentium 2 266MHz
> Memory: 256MB
> Hard drive: 4gb
>
> How would you setup a usable Linux system on this? It should
> be able to run web browser, open office suite, IM, play MP3,
> various video formats.
>
> Is Fedora a good choice for low powered system?
>
> I'd think gnome may be too heavyweight WM and KDE might be a
> better option.
>
> Note that this is for a novice and probably would prefer to
> configure stuffs through UI rather than text editors.
>
> --
> Chu Jeang Tan
> chujtan@xxxxxxxxx

Have done this quite a bit - my choices would be MepisLite,
DreamLinux, or dynebolic; I've got MepisLite running on a
similar machine right now, Micron P2 266/256MB ram, and it runs
just fine, though I don't suggest using OpenOffice. DreamLinux
is supposed to run well on older machines, and I've used it on a
P3 450MHz w/ 384 MB ram,  which ran quite well; dynebolic is
supposed to do well on older machines, but I've only run it on
more modern platforms - it's a bit more work to get it installed
to the hard drive and booting, but, it's a neat distro for
media-content creatives...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, Md, USA