Re: Fedora 6: Firefox Browser Clicking Back

On Tuesday 27 March 2007, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
>Verily I say unto thee, that rookie99 spake thusly:
>> I installed Fedora Core 6. It connects fine, but when I launch Firefox
>> and begin to surf, the browser keeps clicking back to the page it
>> started from, one page at a time, for no apparent reason.
>> Is there a fix for this?
>
>It's magic.
>
>No, actually it's the Synaptics Touchpad driver bindings.
>
>Try this:
>
>Open Firefox.
>Go to a new URL (so you have something in the history).
>Now look at the touchpad.
>Place your finger at the very bottom right.
>Look at the Firefox window.
>In a quick jerk, move your finger from right to left on the touchpad
>(keep to the bottom 1cm of the touchhpad)
>
>Voila! Magic.
>
>The trick is, keep your finger away from the bottom 1cm of the pad,
>unless you want to go back to the previous page.
>
>Also, up and down on the extreme right 1cm of the pad, will give you an
>up and down scroll.
>
>After a while, you get used to it. You don't need much force, it's very
>sensitive, so you can be quite subtle with it.
>
>If you don't like that behaviour, checkout the man page:
>
>man synaptics
>
>Basically you need to add/change the options for 'Section "InputDevice"
>Identifier  "Synaptics"' in xorg.conf.

There is also a synaptics control utility, which allows you to turn it
completely off and use one of those small, usb dongle based mice.  Get
one that has a pocket to store the dongle in the bottom of the mouse
because this also turns the mouse off when the dongle is stored there.
This is the best of all worlds because it totally disable that &^#*)*^&%
spastic touchpad, which can go off while you are typing with your thumbs
never coming within an inch of it, switching screens and launching other
apps or typing strange commands into a shell on screen 3 when you were
answering an email on screen 8.  Or it can just as easily send your
cursor half a screen offscreen and overwrite what you had already
written, or erase portions of the previous text as it goes into overwrite
mode instead of insert.

A %&&$#% synaptics touchpad has to be a tool of the devil, it sure as hell
has cost me what little religion I might have had.  I've been typing
along, had it bounce to the top of the screen or beyond, highlighting
text as it went, and of course with the next keystroke, all the
highlighted text was gone forever.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)