Subject: RE: Fedora and the "normal" user

On Sunday 25 March 2007, Peter Lauri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am considering to remove all Windows apps on my staff's computers and
> replace it with Fedora. The main things they use are email, web, chat, word > processing etc. I know all these are supported in Fedora, and I do like how > they work (using them my self mostly, unless I am using this computer that
> has windows installed).
>
> Is there anyone here who has enforced usage of Fedora on your staff's
> computers where the staff has pretty low computer experience etc.

Actually, those with less computer experience settle quicker than 'power
users'.

My advice, though, would be to not do it this way at all. Here's what I'd
do - a little social engineering :-)

Find some task that bugs them that can be done easier in linux, or find
something that will actually give them pleasure, such as being able to use
their own photos as a slideshow wallpaper changing, say, twice per day. Set
up one box with everything you anticipate them needing, and enable
this 'choice' bait. Give it to one willing person, assuring them that you
will help with anything if they need it, and hinting that the others may get
it later. Make sure that he/she knows about the 'little extra' you've built
in. Sit back and watch at coffee breaks - with any luck the others will be
asking for it within a day or two.

> I assume
> I just need to give them time to get used to it.
>
> Would you recommend them to use GNOME or KDE?

I'd recommend kde (no offence to other desktop managers, all of which have
their good points), just because practically everything is configurable at
the user level, and the pleasure of being able to easily change things to
suit yourself must be a big bonus to them.

> What is the main concern about a Windows -> Fedora transform for "normal"
> people? My feeling is that most people using Fedora are of higher computer
> experience.

Fear, uncertainty and doubt :-) 'I won't be able to do it'

> Would you let your mum use Fedora instead of and Win XP machine? (assume
> that you installed it properly for her).

My husband is technophobic, and he uses it :-) At a low level - occasional
emails, firefox browsing, even buying things via the web - wonder of
wonders! - and playing patience with his coffee. He's learned basic
spreadsheeting, which he considered too difficult before. Oh, yes, he's
learned to use Amarok to play a language CD - a definite bonus to him.

Set it up to be reassuring to them, and they'll be fine, but whatever you do,
don't make them think they have been forced to use it, or they'll rebel.

HTH.

Anne

--

Hi,

I would love to do that at the college I work at....... Absolutely no way would users be able to manage or cope when they struggle with M$ windows now.

I like to think windows has most things worked out from the users point of view so use Linux in the back end as much as I can, although saying that staff demanded to use Outlook 2003 last year and the only back end system that would fully support Outlook 2003 was of course exchange 2003.

The demand for Outlook 2003 came from Staff wanting to use the same mail client that they use at home and i really think you will find the same in the long run, you will then end up with some on fedora and some on windows!! (helpdesk nightmare) I can just imagine the call "why has all the formating changed in my word document i created at home"

I don't know how big your environment is but i have found that the special college type software staff (say) they need is always M$ only. In my experience Linux does all the hard work dns ,proxy ,web servers, intra net servers, mail gateway and glue ware servers I then let the users use the nice and cuddly XP and active directory to sort out all the accounting, mail and os/package deployment because i strongly feel that at the end of the day users need to get the work done they really don't care how trendy or techy it is actually doing it.

also does every web page you visit work and look right in linux firefox ?? I always find my self moving between a couple firefox, kon and mozilla will a user understand why they have to do that or just be on your case because the page they need to view doesnt look or load how it does at home ?

Dont get me wrong I am a Linux geek and spent many years devoted to the open community but until the open source world pulls together and works on a common desktop it will never take the place of M$ on the desktop, Ubuntu almost have it , PC linux almost has it , fedora almost has it even suse almost has it just think what could happen if the dev teams all got together and wrote an amazing user orientated desktop.................

Personal thoughts only!

ned