Re: Can you click on a desktop icon and play a .wav as well as starting the app?

On Friday 23 March 2007 23:49, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 10:43pm on Friday, March 23, 2007 (UK time), Nigel Henry scrawled:
> > The question is as in the subject line.
> >
> > Is it possible to set more than one command on a desktop launcher? For
> > example, you have a music app and want to play a few bars of music as the
> > app is launching when you click on the icon. Is that possible?
>
> One way would be to create a short shell script to play a wav file with
> the "play" command, then to launch the application that was required.
>
> E.g.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> play /path/to/some/file.wav
> firefox
>
> Then setup a desktop icon to run this shell script.
>
> Steve

Hi Steve. Apologies for my reply last night. It was late, and I wasn't
thinking straight.
#!/bin/bash
play <path-to-soundfile>
followed by
<path-to-launch-sound-app>
works fine, as long as no other audio apps are running at the same time.

If another audio app is running, and as the sound card on this machine isn't
capable of multiple audio streams, running the shellscript from a desktop
launcher puts it in a queue waiting for a chance to use /dev/dsp.

I've experienced this before, and it was a bunch of fun trying the desktop
launcher multiple times, then trying the .wav file a few times using "play",
and getting no sounds. Ok the message has gotten through on my ancient brain.
Stopped the running sound app, and got about 10 playbacks of the .wav, and 4
instances of the sound app on the desktop. All great fun.

Next I tried Alsa's aplay, but with the same results. Next stop is the
Alsa-user list to see if this is fixable on FC2 using an Ensoniq sound card
that uses the ens1371 driver.

There will be no problem on the other machine, as it has an Audigy2
soundblaster, which is capable of multiple audio streams, but I would like to
find a fix for the machine that has the Ensoniq card.

Thanks for your help, we're getting somewhere.

Nigel.