Re: Changing machine's name

On 3/24/07, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Looks like your ISP or local DHCP server is setting your hostname.  By
>> default dhclient asks to be assigned a new hostname.
>>
>> man dhclient.conf
>>
>> shows you can create an /etc/dhclient.conf with a "request" line that
>> excludes host-name, that should stop it getting set.
>
> Thanks, Andy and Chris. I do not have any /etc/dhclient.conf file.
>
> A reboot does not improve the situation. The list of today's updates is:

Yes you don't have an /etc/dhclient.conf by default, no conf file means
all defaults, and the default is to ask for host-name as specified on
the manpage.  Giving an explicit request line *without* host-name might
actually help you then.  This can be as easily caused by changes at your
ISP DHCP server (if your box is directly on the Internet) as anything else.

Thanks to all. With

# more /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=mypc

#

and

# more /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
# Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5789 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:14:85:38:2c:93