Re: VirtualBox and tunctl on Fedora Core 6

At 7:31 PM +0100 3/20/07, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>Hi,
>I installed VirtualBox GPL virtualization server.
>In order for getting networking working inbound you need tunctl
>utility found in "uml-utilities".
>
>I can't find "uml-utilities" not "tunctl" for Fedora Core 6.
>
>Please also look at this page:
>http://vbox.innotek.de/pipermail/vbox-users/2007-January/000364.html
>
>There is only one suggestion for FC4 rpm package.
>
>Where can I find RPM package for uml-utilities and why aren't they in
>Fedora repositories?

They're part of User Mode Linux (UML), an old way of virtualizing Linux.
Other ways include XEN, KVM (Kernel Virtual Machine), QEMU, VMWare, and I
guess VirtualBox.  As UML isn't packaged for Fedora, neither are
uml-utilities.

I've recently set up TUN/TAP networking for QEMU.  It may be similar enough
to help you.  There were several hurdles.

One is that recent kernels (2.6.18+) require CAP_NET_ADMIN capability in
the program opening the TUN device; until the tools are available, this
actually means the program must be run suid root, or an earlier kernel must
be used, or the kernel must be rebuilt, either with more patches or with
the new TUN requirement removed.  I chose to use a patch to QEMU that runs
it suid root and drops privileges after opening the TUN device.

With that out of the way, I yum installed bridge-utils and wrote some
scripts that do the following under sudo:

/bin/chmod go+rw /dev/net/tun

/user/sbin/brctl addbr br0
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 promisc up
/user/sbin/brctl addif br0 eth0
/sbin/dhclient br0
/sbin/iptables -F FORWARD

QEMU uses a script to connect itself to the bridge:

/sbin/ifconfig $1 0.0.0.0 promisc up
/usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 $1

I got this set up from various sources, including
<http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/Bridge> and
<http://kidsquid.com/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/bridge> (QEMU specific, having
troubles lately, still in Google's cache).