Re: Recipe for Li-Ion battery longevity

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 14:10, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > Standard advice for rechargeable batteries is to use them, you get your
> > money's worth that way.  If you don't make use of them, it's a waste.
>
> I'm not sure what this means.
> Surely most people will use a laptop
> (or indeed any device with a rechargeable battery)
> if they have one?
> What else would you do with it?
>
> What I find amazing about this endless discussion
> is that it must be the simplest thing in the world
> for a lab to work out which usage gives the longest life.
> On the other hand, it is difficult for a person with one
> or even a few laptops to run an experiment on these lines.

With Li-Ion batteries prevalent on new laptops you would think that there
isn't a problem.  However, for those with experience of older laptops, I can
understand their concern.  My daughter bought a new laptop some years back,
and it came with no warning about batttery useage.  Much later we found a
file referring to it, but by then it was too late.  She played a DVD on it,
and it ran down during the playback.  Completely down, and would'nt
resurrect.  She was told that it would cost £100 for a new battery, which she
couldn't afford, so it had to be used in mains.  It still is, for that
matter.  Six years old and I have Fedora6 on it.

Anne