Re: Recipe for Li-Ion battery longevity

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 10:17 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Having received a spanking new FC6-running (hence on-topic) laptop, what is the current consensus on keeping a modern Li-Ion battery from fizzling out? A Google search does not seem to reveal much of a consensus. Some say: keep the battery charged whenever possible. Others say, keep the battery charged 50-70%.
Come on, that's like saying the power switch on my desktop system running FC6 broke, hence on topic.

Your owners manual should have all the information you need.

Besides, what do you think you will get from the folks here other than more opinions?

Your laptop came with a manual. You are lucky. My Dell Latitude D810 was
manualess and one had to guess what all the function keys and ports did.

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&cat=sup&cs=&k=Latitude+D810&qmp=12&p=1&subcat=ddc&sort=K&snpsd=A&nf=&dt=&navla=&fm=&ss=&ira=False&cp1=-1&cp2=-1&si=&spf=&ssysid=&ssysn=&stag=&~srd=f

Lists a total of 61 manuals for this system. The Dell I had years ago came with a CD with all the manuals you'd ever need. Maybe your system fell of a truck?

The issue I think is this. Some types of batteries have memory in the
sense if you change them when they are half charged they will henceforth
only discharge halfway. Batteries generally put in laptops and cell
phones (LI-Ion) this fault as far as I know and therefore they can be
discharged and charged at will. Also it is my belief that the circuitry
in these devices will not allow over charging.

Yes, the issue is "I think".