Re: problems w/drives and fc6 (still)

On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 17:07 -0500, John wrote:
> I go Computer (desktop icon) / Filesystem / dev (folder) and the cd
> drive items (icons?) are there- not in a folder or anything.

That still doesn't tell me what you're browsing with.  If you're in KDE,
it's probably Konqueror.  If you're in Gnome, it's proabably Nautilus.
Not that I'm sure this is really important to the problem, though.

Show us the output from:  ls -l /dev/cd*

> There's similar icons for the floppy drive, but they're in a folder
> (in dev) named fd0.

If I recall correctly, they're for handling different file systems on
the same disk.

> I got thinking last night- would something like this work: if
> I pulled the power cables for the two drives and booted the box, so FC
> could register them not being there... I could shut down the box, plug
> the drives back in and boot the box up again. I was thinking FC
> -should- see the two drives as new hardware?

It should be scanning for such hardware each boot.

> Its strange- I run hwbrowser, which sees the two drives, but hwbroswer
> says there's no drivers- unlike the other hardware.

My drive is an IDE one, it's found at /dev/hdc.  The hardware browser
says it's using "None or built-in" for the driver.

> When I click/start the cd player in Apps/Sound and Video, it says
> that's its unable to run correctly. Clciking on details show that cd
> player is /dev/scd0...

That's the device naming scheme for a SCSI drive, although some IDE ones
were treated as being SCSI, in some circumstances.  Do you know what
type of drive you have?

> I try to 'set the device' and that option is greyed out. Last night I
> thought SELinux had something to do with it, but I couldn't find
> anything that would disable the drives.

That's not something that I've come across.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.