Re: Fedora - DELL ?

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 06:32 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Andy Green wrote:
> >
> >> This problem: ''It's Linux that brings a problem into this picture.''
> >> Mentioned after your noting that Dells ship with MP3 and WMA and "It's
> >> Linux that brings a problem into this picture.".  The reason Linux
> >> distros don't ship with that support is patents.  I hope that clears
> >> up your sudden attack of 'confusion'.
> >
> > No, it doesn't clear it up, given that other operating systems are able
> > to arrange distribution with patented components.  I'm not insisting
> > that this combination be free, just available.
>
> For Microsoft, it's paid-for and the whole thing is not redistributable.
>   For Linspire solutions for Linux, the OS is redistributable but not
> the MP3 part.  Fedora's basis is that it is contains freely
> redistributable stuff, and indeed I find being able to copy it around at
> will is important.

> >> These are completely separate areas in law.  The GPL operates under
> >> Copyright law.  But the work you have fully legitimate copyright to
> >> can easily violate dozens of patents, which is regulated by a
> >> completely separate body of patent law.  Let's imagine your enduser
> >> view of the GPL making problems was solved.  Say the GPL became BSD
> >> overnight.  Still Redhat cannot bundle mp3 players due to patent law.
> >
> > They would no longer be constrained by licensing to not add components
> > with different redistribution restrictions.  So they could bundle
> > anything they want as long as the license requirements were met
> > independently.
>
> You mean: "Copyright licensing".  Patentholders typically did it to make
> money, and won't license their patents for free usage unless there is a
> quid pro quo in the form of a patent crosslicense.  So Fedora could not
> go on as it is even in that hypothetical situation where copyright
> licensing restrictions disappeared but it wanted to include patented
> software: it would have to charge like all the other solutions currently
> have to charge.
>
> >> I have to say I noted the irony of your using Alan Cox's code in the
> >> networking stack to piss him off.  Seems your complaints should be
> >> tempered by some recognition that a lot of work went into giving us
> >> this stuff for free.  Without acknowledging the debt, your complaints
> >> sound like a teenager complaining about how unfair his life is, while
> >> he lives under a roof he doesn't have to pay for, eats food, wears
> >> clothes that are given to him.
> >
> > Is there something unique about the linux kernel that should matter to
> > me?  It is a convenient place to run X, apache, sendmail, perl, nfs,
> > java, firefox, openoffice, etc. and I use it because it has hijacked
> > much driver and kernel development that might have gone into the *bsd's
> > otherwise.  But I'll turn your comment around and point out that Linux
>
> But your complaints centre on Linux and the GPL.
>
> > wouldn't exist without the design and specification of the original
> [...]

And all of this overlooks the base design of patent law.  Patents are
supposed to give the grantee the exclusive rights to his work for a
limited time.  After that by law, the work is to pass into the public
domain.  Thus technology would have a profit attached, but would benefit
all of us by creating and then liberating technology for the next round
of advancement of society as a whole.  All patents were to have an
expiration date set at the issuance of the patent.

Regards,
Les H