Re: Fedora - DELL ?

On 3/16/07, Paul Osunero <esiex3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The linux kernel changes rapidly, but that doesn't mean you have to stick
with the bleeding edge.  A company could probably stick with a 2.6.18 kernel
for a year before switching to a newer version.  It's not like they need the
functionality of the latest kernel.

Yes companies wont change much .. but normal users will .. and most
complains of stuff broken comes from them, not companies ..

companies usually done some research before buying hardwares , so that
it match with their busines needs ... but not the users .. lots of
users nowadays took stuff for granted and they expected those hwares
to work with everything .. having OEMs like DELL to build computers
with only  hardwares that have open source drivers is hoped to help in
this case ..  because the computers are built to match with linux ..

By the way, yeah ATi drivers are broken but Nvidia drivers aren't that bad.
I'm use my Nvidia driver for Beryl and games, and I really don't see where
it's broken.  Nvidia drivers are fairly stable.

NVidia driver (official package from nvidia.com) had problem compiling
during 2.6.17-2.6.18 transition (due to the removal of config.h - glad
its a simple fix, which can be done easily ) .. and the driver is
kindof broken with SMP kernels currently
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58498 (it happened to
my friend)

If the driver is open source , surely somebody would have volunteered
to come forward and fix it early .. rather than waiting for the
manufacturer to fix it (and again .. fixing = cost .. and manufacturer
wont rush if it relates to cost ) .. if the manufacturer decided not
to fix it or drop support for it .. there goes the hardware .. (like
some legacy NVidia and ATi cards) ...

my 2c
regards
Hikaru