Re: Package Manager and Yum Don't Work

Jesse Petre writes:

Hello,
I just installed Fedora, and I'm having a few issues...hopefully someone can help.  When I go to Add/Remove Programs (package manager) it says that: "Another application is running which is accessing software information" and then closes.  Also, when I try to install something in Yum, it returns: Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running. Aborting.
Everything is sitting idle, and I'm not running any programs.  What's going on?  This is a fresh install...

There's a background process that automatically checks for updates from Fedora repositories, and compiles a list of package updates that'll pop-up when they become available.

If you just installed FC 6, there's a buttload of updates that have accumulated over the past 6 months. It's going to take a while for all the metadata to get processed.

Yes, this is completely broken. People have commented that the entire rpm/yum based package management is long overdue for a redesign.