Re: lost drives with fc6

Antonio Olivares wrote:
--- John <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  I noticed this morning, that I've lost the cd and
floppy icons from Computer (icon, desktop). I had 11 updates to run last night (Wed)- kinda stupid to think an update wiped them out, but? I have a cd in the drive right now, and its dead in the water.
Suggestions on how to fix this?

                 John

You are not alone.  This happens to me also.  Running
dmesg returns

hdd: status error: status=0x40 { DriveReady }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown

When rebooting, KDE says that there is an audio CD in
the drive, there's no CD inside.  I click on it and
then get an error message.

Also to check out if it is FC6's fault, I run SLAX
Live CD and it runs, but then trying to play a movie,
it froze and could not run dmesg because ctrl + alt +
backspace and/or ctrl + alt + delete did not work.

Regards,

Antonio

 Huh; here I thought I was going nuts!