Re: Laptop recomendations

On 15/03/07, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/14/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A font "point" isn't an arbitrary or relative measurement, it's a real
> world measurement, just like we have centimetres and inches, with an
> exact meaning.

1pt = 1/72 inch, IIRC.  Somewhat arbitrary, yet fixed as you say.

Chris

All American measurements are of these unusual division. The inch
itself is 1/12 foot, which is 1/5280 of a mile. Maybe not arbitrary,
but not very intuitive. The American measurements for weight (is there
a measuement of mass?), tempurature, and other scalars are no better.
I'm rather surprised that there are exactly 100 cents in the US
dollar!

The whole world uses the unusual seconds/minutes/hours measurement of
time so far as I know. Can anybody present an outstanding case?

Dotan Cohen

http://dotancohen.com/howto/netscape_bat_email.php
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/xss.html