Re: Mount new partition

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 20:00 -0400, Bruce Hyatt wrote:
> I used fdisk to create partition /dev/sda3 as a linux partition.
>
> As I recall, I got a message to the effect that on reboot, fstab would be updated. So I rebooted.
>
> I tried "mount -t ext3 /dev/sda3 /orardata1" and got message "wrong fs type, bad option," etc. Then did "mkdir -p /oradata1" and tried mounting again. Same message.
>
> Tried editing fstab manually and still getting the same message.
>
> What did I miss???
>
> Thanks.
>
> P.S., Couldn't find any revelation in the fedora-list archives either. Isn't there a better way than using "find" for each month's thread page to search them?

> No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
> Make My Way  your home on the Web - http://www.myway.com

Bruce,

first there is no need to reboot after creating a new partition with
fdisk. After writing the partition table to disk and exiting fdisk, a
simple partprobe would be enough to update the partition infos.

But be aware that fdisk only create partition, not the filesystem on it.
You need to do this manually, using mkfs.* (in your case
mkfs.* /dev/sda3) where * can be: vfat, ext2, ext3, xfs, reiserfs, ntfs,
msdos, depending on what you need for your new partition.

Only after that you can update /etc/fstab like this:

/dev/sda3	/orardata1	auto	defaults

In case that you need other mount options than default (see man mount)
you may want to replace defaults with your own options.

HTH,

Calin

To be successful, a woman has to be much better at her job than a man.
-- Golda Meir