Re: Dell survey on which Linux they should offer

At 09:12 14/03/2007, you wrote:

But for me the most interesting thing for me is for the first time a general purchaser will be able to buy a laptop without putting money in Microsoft's pocket at all. Up until now, even when you broke free of Microsoft, you are forced to be a "taxpayer". If Dell genuinely make this a radiobutton on the main purchasing page AND deduct the specified amount of "tax" money when you select it, that will be a wonderful breakthrough.

Don't want or intend to start another language war here, but I always use the word "tribute" in association with the extra cost associated with purchasing a computer:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribute

The Wikipedia definitions seem pretty appropriate to me in this context.

The Vista decal from this new laptop looks good stuck next to the handle on my toilet, but I would actually leave a tux decal on my laptop.

-Andy

I think that's disrespectful to the toilet, which serves a useful purpose. Better to apply it to one of those "safety camera" supplementary tax collection vans that now infest our roadsides.

Dave