Re: Confused about bridging, firewall (iptables), and DHCP

At 5:49 PM -0500 3/13/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>Tony Nelson wrote:
>> At 1:26 PM -0500 3/13/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>
>>> You would then create what ever firewall rules you with on
>>> your virtual machine using the tap0 interface, just like you would
>>> using eth0 if it were a stand-alone machine. You may have to add
>>> rules to set the defaults on eth0 to accept in order to purge the
>>> old rules.
>>
>> Actually, I don't think I'd need any rules at all for the VM, as it should
>> be able to do its own firewalling -- and it does, I'm fighting with it now
>> (and winning!).
>>
>Yes, the VM should have firewall rules based on what it calles tap0.

It calls its interface eth0, of course. 8-)

>But you need to make sure that the rule for eth0 on the real machine
>accept all packets. If you are bringing up iptables before you are
>creating the bridge, then it probably has rules and/or policies for
>eth0. It is also possible to add rules for individual interfaces
>that make up the bridge, but in this case, you will probably want
>the bridge interfaces to accept everything.

I'm reading Rusty Russell's Linux iptables HOWTO now.  Section 5 says it
works on IPs, not on interfaces.  Thus, packets come in to the kernel from
either end of the bridge; if they're for our IP, they then traverse the
INPUT chain; if they're for another IP (the world or the sandbox), they
traverse the FORWARD chain.  I'll try to prove that tomorrow.

>>> One thing you could try after the bridge is up is to run "service
>>> iptables restart". This might reset the firewall rules to use br0
>>> instead of eth0.

I don't think that's an issue.  So far, my changes have worked instantly
(or not at all :).

>> FWIW, I have been doing "iptables --flush" and later "iptables-restore",
>> and that doesn't unfilter the tap.  I think, since the output of "iptables
>> -vL" says "any" for the interface, that I'd have to make more specific
>> rules.  Maybe I'm starting to understand it.
>
>Keep in mind that running "iptables --flush" does not change the
>default policy - it just deletes the (user defined) rules. Running
>"service iptables stop" will also reset the default policies.

The default policy is ACCEPT.

>I am not sure, but I suspect that the rules in
>/etc/sysconfig/iptables get evaluated differently if the bridge is up.

I'm not sure either, and I'm too tired to try it now.  Tomorrow I'll see if
simply doing "iptables -F FORWARD" is all I need for the bridges tap0 to be
unfirewalled.