Re: X cutbuffer question.

On 13Mar2007 14:45, Steven W. Orr <steveo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Here's the setup:
|
| I'm running something that is in raw mode. Maybe vi, pine, something like
| that. I want to insert a URL into my buffer. So I go to Firefox and go to
| the URL. Then I pull up Tools -> TinyURL Creator and the new URL gets
| copied to my buffer. I then paste it into my text. All is good in the
| world.
|
| Later on, I copy other text (not related) and try to paste that. Instead I
| get the old tinyURL and not the text I just copied.

X11 has two cut/paste systems. There's a nice clear explaination of
their ideal use here:

  http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html

You may be interested in the xcutsel program (part of xorg-x11-apps) and
autocutsel:

  http://www.nongnu.org/autocutsel/

which I am considering using on a Mac I know.

Terminals and Firefox tend to not use these things that same way.
Fiddling with firefox's Edit/{Cut,Copy,Paste} menu options may affect
things, too.

Ignore the sig quote. I like X11!

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Vacuumware: n, software which was written specifically to fill a void in the
        industry, especially software which is successful more due to how
        well it fills that void than due to anything else, like usability or
        utility.

It may have been Dennis Ritchie who said (about X) "Sometimes when you fill
a vacuum, it still sucks." X is a prime example of vacuumware, and in fact
inspired the term.