Re: Laptop recomendations

On Mon March 12 2007, alan wrote:
> I have a 1920x1200 display on my HP.  Its main purpose is to make people
> drool.  I actually like having the resolution that tiny.  I just wish that
> they would have put more video ram in ti.  As for the buttons, there is a
> mapping utility in X that I used to map them to applications in Gnome.
> Worked pretty well.  (Still don't use them, but I could map them.)
>
> > Though my Dell laptop experience has been good, I'm going to be getting
> > a business grade HP or Lenovo laptop next time.  I'm leaning heavily
> > towards HP at the moment.
>
> The thing that convinced me to buy an HP was their 3 year warrenty.  They
> will fix any damage to the laptop during that period.  I have had to use
> it only twice, but it was well worth it.  (Once for a dead power brick.
> Once when I got the PCMCIA ejector button caught on my laptop bag and
> ripped it out.)  I would recommend buying an extra hard drive as well.  HP
> will reformat and reinstall Windows on your machine every time it goes in
> for warrenty.  (And not even an updated and patched copy, but the
> original disk image!)
>
> As for device support...  I have gotten pretty much everything working on
> my HP.  The Winmodem is an unknown, since I do not use it. (As well as
> having a very good PCMCIA modem back when they made such things.)  There
> is also a memory adapter that I just need firmware for.  Of course, I
> bought it two and a half years ago, so it has had time for the drivers to
> catch up with it...

Alan: Would you mind telling me what model you have? I own a ZX5000, which
apparently wasn't a big production run. It's a 15.4" widescreen with the
1920X1200 brightview option - I didn't buy it to make my friends drool, but
because I'm a video producer and I like to see as much of a timeline as
possible when editing ;-) I've been very impressed with this machine. It's
still going strong - mine came with a P4 3.0 GHz, an 80 GB hd, 512 MB ram and
an ATI card - It's now up to 1.5 GB ram and a 160 GB hd, and it's running XP
and Linux (Mepis at the moment, but I'm going to put FC7t2 on it tomorrow).
One thing I never got to work was the modem - did you have any luck in that
regard?

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA