Wireless recommendations

At one time I had Fedora/KDE on my laptop. I later replaced Fedora with that *other* OS simply because wireless was so painful. That was a long time ago and it appears things have changed. I think I am ready to switch back now but before I go through that effort, I would like to have some confirmation that the pain has been eliminated.

The laptop is a Dell 600m with an Intel ProSet 2200BG wireless adapter. I travel with the laptop so configuring it for a single network with a single network key is not any good for me. Having to manually reconfigure every time I go to a new location is also not any good either. What I really want is to be able open it up, have it resume from suspend or boot and recognize that there are networks in the area. If it finds one that it has seen before, connect to it. If not, give me something to select from. Though not an absolute, it would also be very handy if it did PEAP as well so that I can connect at work.

I can see the open part of the driver is already in the kernel and the proprietary part of the driver is now available via yum at livna. That is cool. I have never used network manager but it looks like it might do what I am looking for. If there is a better way to do this, I would love to hear it.

Anyway, as I said, I am looking for success stories and a nudge in a right direction. I guess I am also looking for for any red flags, pit falls or horror stories.

TIA