Re: Daylight Saving Time (DST)

Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 05:44:33AM -0700, jdow wrote:
> So in the spirit of being a nice woman I figured I'd pass along what I did
> to update an FC4 installation I have not had time to move upwards to
> something that'll crash more often because it's newer. (I am NOT happy
> with FC5 on my laptop.)
Sounds like Fedora isn't the distribution for you. You should check out
CentOS (specifically, the upcoming CentOS 5), which is ultimately derived
from Fedora but with a much longer lifespan for each release. (Years instead
of months.)
I initially ran FC4 on my laptop (HP Pavilion zv6015) with no problems once I got it installed (install needed "nofb" or the display died during the install). I skipped FC5 and went to FC6 when FC4 went to legacy support/unsupported. FC6 on the laptop is stable as long as I don't activate the wireless NIC. If I do, I get a kernel panic within 24 hours of turning on the wireless. I don't use the wireless very frequently so trying bcm43xx instead of ndiswrapper hasn't made it to the top of my "to do" list. YMMV.

I'm planning on moving to CentOS 5 once it's released. My server running CentOS 4.X has been stable as a rock.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce