Use createrepo on host A, deploy on host B?

Hi,

I would like to make some rpms available via a yum repo but the Linux
box that hosts my domain does not have createrepo. Does anyone know if
it is possible to setup the directory structure on host A, add the RPMs,
run the appropriate createrepo command, stick everything in a tarball,
copy it to host B and unpack it. Will that result in a working yum repo?

TIA,
Patrick