Re: Daylight Saving Time (DST)

Jonathan Berry wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well, after all the questions about the new DST rules on the list, I
> was surprized when I booted my FC6 box today and noticed that the
> clock still showed central standard time.  I am curious why this is.
> First off, let me say that I dual-boot with Windows, which presents
> some issues when it comes to DST.  It could be that I set some option
> when installing FC6 to not change the clock for DST so that I could
> let Windows keep control of the clock (though I tend to be booting
> Windows less and less).  I do not see any such option in
> system-config-date, though.  I did find this:
> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/clock
> # The ZONE parameter is only evaluated by system-config-date.
> # The timezone of the system is defined by the contents of /etc/localtime.
> ZONE="America/Chicago"
> UTC=false
> ARC=false
> I am not sure what ARC is.
>
> I am unsure whether or not I am using NTP.  chkconfig indicates that
> the ntpd service should start for runlevels 3 and 5.  But
> system-config-date shows NTP to be disabled.  I do not know if this
> should have any effect on things.
>
> Does anyone have any insight into this?  Is there an option at some
> point to disable automatically changing the time for DST?  If so, is
> there a way to change this behavior?  I could fix this a few different
> ways relatively easily, but I was curious about this and thought maybe
> the answer might help someone else someday :-).
>
> Jonathan

If I remember correctly, if your clock is set to local time, and
your system is not on during the time change, the system will not do
it for you. I do not believe that ntpd will adjust the clock for you
when the time is off by more then 1000 seconds. (16 and 2/3rd minutes.)

The problem with duel-booting and having the clock in local time is
that the system has no way to tell if the other OS has already
corrected for the time change. If the clock is set to UTC, then this
is not a problem because only the local time changes, and not the
system clock.

Mikkel