Re: F-Spot

On 11/03/07, Claude Jones <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, if you want your system to become a hybrid of rawhide and FC6, yeah,
> you can do it. How do you feel about reinstalling from scratch, after your
> system gets really strange?

I'd say that's a bit extreme. Installing the occasional package from
development doesn't create a hybrid of rawhide and FC6. It's like saying that
installing the occasional package from source is creating a hybrid of Fedora
Core and the Wild West.

I also thought that was a bit extreme. At my low experience level,
though, I play it safe and trust The List.

Dotan: Just go into /etc/yum.repos.d and find your fedora-development and
fedora-development-extras repo files - edit them as root to enable them. Do a
yum install of the package you want from rawhide, then re-edit the
development repos to disable them. Better, use the yum enablerepo option (man
yum). Even easier, if you use Yumex or Smart or Kyum, you can enable and
disable repos with a couple of mouse-clicks, do a refresh of your package
cache, and install your package - all the above will pull the package in from
development along with any dependencies. Use proper caution - read your
screens! If some package wants to update 50 other packages for dependency
reasons, back off. With some basic common sense and due diligence, it's
fairly easy to pull in packages from rawhide that you're particularly
insterested in - there's always the possibility of issues with Fedora because
of it's cutting edge, and you increase the probabilities by using rawhide,
but trashing things so badly you have to re-install from scratch is not the
bogeyman it's sometimes portrayed as - can it happen? yes - does it happen
often? no, not if you practice common sense... What does happen is that
people enable rawhide repos to install a package, and forget to disable them
before running the next yum update - I've seen several posts over the past
years about people doing this - I did it once, but, when the update pulled in
300+ packages to be updated and asked for confirmation, my red flag went up.
Of course, if you run automatic yum updates with the no confirmation option
turned on then walk on eggs....

If I see it's updating obviously unrelated things I won't approve the
update. I know for a long time now to READ all updates, and to never
let them be performed automatically. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/156/destiny_s_child.html
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/microsoft.html